Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Hemingway Summer

I had never read any of Ernest Hemingway's work until this past year when I read A Movable Feast in preparation to read A Paris Wife.

I always considered him a man's writer, a misogynist and a drunk. Mind you, this judgment was formed without reading a word of his prose.

To say that I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. His style is like that of F Scott Fitzgerald in that his work is sparsely written, tightly edited. Every word earns its keep. Description is not lacking it's just well chosen.

I enjoy reading spare prose and I aspire to write it although you would never know by this rambling missive.

So I bought a book of Hemingway's short stories and four of his novels. I'm going to read them this summer and blog about them here.

This venture would be even more fun if if was interactive so please feel free to tell me what you think of Ernest Hemingway; his life or his works.

Tell me your favorite stories or novels, or what you liked or did not.

2 comments:

  1. Which stories are in your book?

    I lived north of Key West growing up and have been to his home down there -

    The Snows of Kilimanjaro is a beautifully written story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemmingway. It looks like that's in there, so I'll check it out:)

    ReplyDelete